|Research Institutes/Stations/Sub stations|
The mandate of Agricultural Research System (ARS) can be defined as:
- Development of new high yielding, resistant and good quality varieties/hybrids of crops, vegetables, fruits and others for different agro-ecological zones of NWFP.
- Development of economical, user friendly and sustainable production technology packages for newly developed varieties/Hybrids, for each and every agro-ecological zones of NWFP with its refinement every year.
- Production of high quality Pre-Basic seed/clones of new and prevailing varieties/hybrids of crops, vegetables and fruits, for its distribution to concerned agencies and progressive farmers for further multiplication for the common farmers.
- Dissemination and promotion of agricultural and related technology to end-users and provide different agricultural related services to farmers, rural women and agricultural related traders.
- Assist and cooperate with various national and international agencies, NGOs and various Projects especially in agriculture sector development.
- Achievements of NWFP Agricultural Research System During Last Two Years
- Variety Development Development of new high yielding, resistant and good quality varieties/hybrids of crops, vegetables, fruits and others for different agro-ecological zones of NWFP are one of the mandatory tasks of the system. 25 new varieties of different crops, fruits and vegetables were developed and approved by Provincial Seed Council during year 2003 while 17 during year 2004.e.g. Haider 2k, KT-2000, KT2003, Lukky-j03, Pir Sabak 2004 & Zam (Wheat) Jalal-2003 (maize), Fakhr-e-Malakand (Rice), Bannu green, Bannu-3, MCP-421 (Sugar cane), KK-2, KK-3 (Chick pea) Swat Mung-1, Karak Mung-1 (Mung Bean). Masoor-2004, Ratta Kulachi-2004 (Lentils), Pink Lady, Royal Gala etc. (Apple), Ruby Red (Plum) Sun Burst, Colney (Cherry), Tarnab Neemboo (Lemon), Tarnab Gulabi (pomegranate), Tarnab Inzer (Fig), Dassan (Peas), Elum (tomato) etc.