Peanut farming is a popular agricultural activity in Pakistan. The country is home to a number of peanut varieties, and the crop is grown in a variety of regions. Peanuts are a versatile crop that can be used for a variety of purposes, including human consumption, animal feed, and oil production.
Peanut Growing Season in Pakistan
The peanut growing season in Pakistan typically runs from April to September. The ideal temperature for peanut growth is between 25 and 30 degrees Celsius. Peanuts can tolerate some heat, but they will not grow well in hot, dry climates.
Peanut Farming Temperature Requirements
Peanuts are a warm-season crop that requires a long growing season. The ideal temperature for peanut growth is between 25 and 30 degrees Celsius. Peanuts can tolerate some heat, but they will not grow well in hot, dry climates.
Peanut Variety in Pakistan
There are a number of peanut varieties grown in Pakistan. The most popular varieties include:
- M-335: This variety is a spreading variety that matures in 125 days. It has a shelling percentage of 67. It yields about 8-10 quintals per acre. Seeds contain 49 percent oil. It is recommended for sowing under irrigated conditions in Punjab.
- M-522: This variety is also a spreading variety for sowing under irrigated conditions in Punjab. It matures in about 115 days.
- M548: This variety is grown in sandy areas of the country with certainly dispersed rain fall of about 550 mm in July, mid-august as well as September or simply under deterrent irrigation. Ready to harvest in 123 days. Crude oil content obtained is 52.4%.
What is the best sowing season for Peanuts and Harvesting season?
The best sowing season for peanuts in Pakistan is from April to May. The harvesting season is from September to October.
Diseases in Peanut Farming
Peanuts are susceptible to a number of diseases, including:
- Smut: This disease is caused by a fungus and can cause significant yield losses.
- Rust: This disease is also caused by a fungus and can cause leaf and pod damage.
- Nematodes: These pests can damage peanut roots and reduce yields.
Sales Price of Peanuts
The sales price of peanuts in Pakistan varies depending on the variety, quality, and market conditions. In general, peanuts sell for between Rs. 100 and Rs. 200 per kg.
Marketing of Peanuts in Pakistan
Peanuts are marketed in a variety of ways in Pakistan. They can be sold directly to consumers, sold to wholesalers, or exported. The most common way to market peanuts is through wholesale markets.
Peanuts are a popular and versatile crop in Pakistan. They are a good source of protein and oil, and they can be grown in a variety of climates. Peanut farming is a viable agricultural activity for farmers in Pakistan.
Here are some additional tips for peanut farming in Pakistan:
- Choose a well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0 to 6.5.
- Prepare the soil by tilling it to a depth of 6 inches.
- Apply 10-12 pounds of nitrogen per acre before planting.
- Plant peanuts 1 inch deep and 2 inches apart.
- Water the peanuts regularly, especially during the flowering and pod-setting stages.
- Control weeds and pests.
- Harvest the peanuts when the pods are brown and dry.
- Shell the peanuts and store them in a cool, dry place.